updated 2:19 PM UTC, Oct 15, 2020

Archive Banner

Archived Banner

Ivanhoe fire destroys home

by Emily Waldrep

A fire in Ivanhoe on the morning of Friday, July 20 destroyed a couple's home and sent one Ivanhoe firefighter to the hospital.

At approximately 9:30a.m a call came in to dispatch reporting a structure fire in Ivanhoe, across from the intersection of Lakewood and Durrwood and three Volunteer Fire Departments were sent out.

"Ivanhoe, Woodville and Warren both arrived on scene and attacked the fire with the belief that a person may have been inside," says Dale Freeman of Tyler County Emergency Management.

Thankfully, after the fire was put out and and the home searched, no one was found inside and all residents of the home were later accounted for. The couple that lived in the home had both been away for several hours and no vehicles were left at the residence,

The house was destroyed and one Ivanhoe Firefighter was sent to the hospital after suffering from heat exhaustion. He was treated and observed at the hospital and later released to recover at home.

The Red Cross has stepped in to help the family and they have a place to live until they find another home. Thankfully, the family stated that their home was insured.

The family would appreciate any donations of clothing or household items from the community as they lost every item in their home. To make a donation to the family, contact Dale Freeman at (409) 331-0874.




Humidity: 100%

Wind: 14 mph

  • 03 Jan 2019 45°F 37°F
  • 04 Jan 2019 55°F 34°F